Default Parameters to function!

Justin Sheehy dworkin at
Thu Mar 16 00:53:15 CET 2000

Timothy Docker <timd at> writes:

> Just about everyone hits this sooner or later, suggesting that
> that the current behaviour is not the ideal one.

I certainly hit it early on in my experience with Python.  I then
looked in the FAQ and understood what was going on.

I now use that feature of default paremeters reasonably often, and to
good effect.  The existing behavior has no problems that I can see, it
just might not be what many people find intuitive before reading the

The behavior that you request could be very tricky in some situations, as
opposed to the current behavior which is very easy to think about once
you have seen it.