Mac OS X threads

Roger Klaveness rogerkl at notam.uio.no
Sat Mar 4 06:40:05 EST 2000

John Deighan wrote:

> I was able to compile Python under Mac OS X. However, when I tried to
> install Zope (www.zope.org), it said that it needed Python with thread
> support. When I tried to recompile Python with thread support (using
> "configure --with-threads), it failed because it couldn't link to 3
> thread-related functions. Can anyone help?

try to download and install pthread for Mac Os X :
http://www.prnet.de/RegEx/pthread.tar.gz
then you should be able to do a configure --with-threads
and make it succesfully.
You will probably run into another problem when installing Zope
Zope depends on some c-extensions to python that it tries to
compile as dynamic loadable modules. I couldn't get it to work as it
seemed to me that python's configure-script cannot make dynamic loadable
modules for Mac Os X. So what I did was to compile a new python with the
modules compiled static into the interpreter instead.
What I did was that after running the wo_pcgi.py script, I tweaked the
Setup script in Zope-dir/lib/python, removed
the *shared* - tag in the top of the file and included the Setup-files
from
the subdirectories under, that included c-extensions.
Then I ran
  make -f Makefile.pre.in boot
  make python
Then I had a brand new python-binary with the extensions compiled into
it.
Use this python-binary to run z2.py with , and you should have Zope
running on Mac Os X

Roger Klaveness