will python 3000 break my code?

bjorn bjorn at roguewave.com
Wed Mar 1 13:27:38 EST 2000

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> [snippage]
> >     3) it's considered Bad Style to use multi-argument append, IMHO.
>
> ahem.  does your HO really matter to all those who have
> to spend time and money changing their existing code base.
>
> preliminary results indicate that *all* our applications and
> libraries (including PIL) are affected by this change.  given
> that, it's quite likely that a few other companies will also
> stumble upon this one...

I must say I was kind of concerned when Guido announced this change.  Where I
work, source code incompatible changes are an almost complete no-no, even for
major releases.  The impact to customers is just too great.  The moral is
probably, if you made an implementation boo-boo, you better learn to live with
it quickly.

I suppose I can agree with his analysis of the "evils" of multiargument append,
but I'm not sure I think it's a big enough deal to break source compatibility.

the-days-of-legacy-code-are-upon-us'ly y'rs
-- bjorn