Python tutorial/comparison for C++ programmer

Michael Hudson mwh21 at
Thu Mar 23 14:35:57 CET 2000

wware at (Will Ware) writes:

> In the former domain, unfortunately, Microsoft has a lot of experience
> and if it deemed the effort worthwhile, it probably could "win", i.e. do
> real damage to Python as a useful language. Luckily, Python is not yet a
> sufficiently large blip on their radar to merit that effort.

Yes, I realised this after posting.  But I think you're being far too
cynical; it's not like Java which threatened to form a development
platform in competition to MS's - just what would they stand to gain
from doing "real damage to Python as a useful language".  It's not
like I support MS or use any of their products (hmm, except my
keyboard and my mouse...), but I don't believe they are actually evil.

I suppose it could be viewed as competition to VB, but then that's not
really relavent until Python gets a flashy point n' click GUI, and
even then, if micorsoft ship Visual Python (tm), how does this impact

PS: IIRC, MS paid ActiveState to do help port perl to Win32;
ActiveState are now working in the Python world, so .... I'll leave
that to the rumour mill.

very few people approach me in real life and insist on proving they are
drooling idiots.                         -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp