Multi-argument append() is illegal

Toby Dickenson mbel44 at dial.pipex.net
Mon Mar 27 01:15:04 EST 2000

"Tim Peters" <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:

>[Alex]
>> I don't know whether this has been mentioned, but along the same lines,
>> I noticed recently that the 'index', 'count' and 'remove' methods of
>> lists also treat multiple arguments as a tuple:
>> This probably also wants changing.
>
>Yes, these were disallowed by the same patch that disallowed multi-arg
>list.append.  Nobody mentioned index/etc because there were no known
>instances of that in real code; multi-arg append unfortunately showed up in
>some very early modules in the std distribution, and appeared to get copied
>widely by people who listened harder to the compiler's silence than the
>documentation's screams <wink>.

Is there a complete list of every method that has been fixed by this
patch? Im now having nightmares about _every_ variable-paramater-list.

In particular,

Python 1.5.2 (#0, Oct 11 1999, 09:59:20) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
>>> max(1,2,3,4,5)
5
>>> max([1,2,3,4,5])
5

That one even looked like a bug what I first saw it, which I cant say
about list.append.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com