HELP: restore my faith in Python

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Sat Mar 4 17:37:46 EST 2000

On 4 Mar 2000, Michael Hudson wrote:

> Scheme automatically make rationals doesn't it?

For the nth time, Scheme's standard says so little, it certainly doesn't
say whether (/ 1 2) is 1/2 or 0.5 (though it's certainly not 0). Scheme's
model of arithmetic is valuable for many points -- fully specifying
behaviour is, by design, not one of them.

> I wasn't suggesting Python should adopt these semantics, but I do
> think they make sense for Haskell.

The thing is, there don't seem to be any sensible semantics Python could
adopt.

until-the-timbot-implements-slash-arithmetic-for-intel-cpus-ly y'rs, Z.
--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka at geocities.com>.
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html