Copyright and License

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Fri May 5 03:23:30 EDT 2000

[Frank V. Castellucci]
> I'm looking for something more along the lines of the Python GPL. There
> is a Python accepted (Open Source) license, but it points back to the
> Python specific one.

I don't understand what you're saying.  Assuming nobody else does either,
that may explain why you're not getting the answer you want <wink>.

There is only one CPython license, at

    http://www.python.org/doc/Copyright.html

> I guess I can assume that changing the copyright
> owner in the statement is fine for now.

You certainly cannot change the copyright owner!  The only thing you're
required to do is to reproduce the copyright notice (verbatim) in your
documentation.  As the page explains, there's no GNU copyleft intent here --
you're merely being asked to acknowledge that your work incorporates Python,
which is itself under such-and-such a copyright notice.  The real intent of
that appears to be to create some legal smoke so that Python's sponsoring
organizations can't be sued for your use of it.

> And FYI: I am asking because of starting a open development project.

That's fine.  Fine too if it's a closed project.  Python is free for all.

even-the-military<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim