help installing wxPython

Enrique Castro ecastro at cicei.ulpgc.es
Thu May 4 12:42:03 EDT 2000

Hi,
    I have just discovered Python and I am exploring its features, in a
Win95 system. I have tried to install and use wxPython (wxWindows is
already installed and working), but I cannot.
Python cannot import the wxc module in wxPyhon package. The interpreter
says that a DLL is missing. The error message is:
import wxPython
>Traceback (innermost last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>  File "D:\Python\wxPython\__init__.py", line 20, in ?
>    import wxc
>ImportError: DLL load failed: One of the library files needed to run
this applic
>ation cannot be found.

But wxc.pyd DLL is there in the python\wxPython dir.

What is happening here?

Another fool question (I have not seen in FAQ, probably is too silly)
I have set PYTHONHOME variable and associated python.exe to .py
extensions, but I cannot "run" some file.py from the prompt. I mean some
"executable" demos, not mere class-definition *.py files

I would appreciate any help.
I am not a professional programmer. Aactually I am a neuroscientist
trying to find a new enviroment  for rapid development of almost
use-and-forget customized tools for data analysis. I used to work small
DOS applications, but now my students (and myself, you get used to) want
GUI in the applets and huge memory space (and I hate the MS-Windows
API). After playing around with Java, I have got the feeling that there
are too much movements around JVMs, SWING etc ant that's not an stable
base.