python improvements (Was: Re: New Language)

Bernhard Herzog herzog at online.de
Mon May 15 18:41:01 EDT 2000

"Russell E. Owen" <owen at astroNOJNK.washington.edu.invalid> writes:

> I would personally like to be required to declare variables before using
> them, a la smalltalk. (Just declare the names, not specify a "type".) It
> would greatly simplify this kind of error checking.

I suppose it would be possible to introduce an optional 'local'
declaration similar to the already exisiting 'global' and to have a
command line flag that makes it mandatory.

> Also on my wish list (inspired by Smalltalk):
> - class instance variables and class variables are declared as part of
> the class declaration and nowhere else. The current system seems
> dangerous, especially for class variables. It's too easy to mis-type a
> variable name and so create a new one.

My experience so far is that this doesn't happen as often as one might
expect. However, the reason for that may be that I frequently use Emacs'
dynamic abbrevs to complete longer identifiers. I use this feature so
often that I sometimes mistype newly introduced identifiers
consistently. :-)

M-/-ly y'rs

--
Bernhard Herzog   | Sketch, a drawing program for Unix
herzog at online.de  | http://sketch.sourceforge.net/