correct round of reals?

Peter Schneider-Kamp petersc at stud.ntnu.no
Fri May 12 07:13:56 EDT 2000

Hei!

I have put the rint(3) function in the math module. As
Guido observed this is not an ANSI C function and not
available on every platform. Now I want to "simulate"
rint on those insane platforms. What is the Right Way(TM)
to do it?

I have written
  double myrint(x) double x; {
    return floor(x+0.5);
  }
so far, but that does not seem to exhibit the same
behaviour. Problems with this definition:
myrint(2.5) gives 3.0, not 2.0 as rint(3)
myrint(3.5) gives 4.0 as expected

IEEE standard seems to be rounding towards the next
even integer in .5-cases. How do I do that?

Any hints appreciated,
Peter
--
Peter Schneider-Kamp          ++47-7388-7331
Herman Krags veg 51-11        mailto:peter at schneider-kamp.de
N-7050 Trondheim              http://schneider-kamp.de