get the list of expected arguments?

Michal Wallace (sabren) sabren at manifestation.com
Mon May 8 17:38:35 EDT 2000

Hey all,

Given a function (or method), is it possible to know the names of the
expected parameters? I'd like to be able to extract this information
and generate a form for calling the function.

For example, say you have a function that draws a line:

   def line(m,b, x1=0, x2=10):
	for x in range(x1, x2):
	    y = m * x + b
            plot(x,y)

... It might be in a module with a bunch of other geometry functions.
I'd like to do something like "showForm(line)" and get:

     ENTER PARAMETERS FOR LINE:

     m: _____

     b: _____

     x1: ___0

     x2: __10

Is that possible? I tried dir(line), and got:
['__doc__', '__name__', 'func_code', 'func_defaults', 'func_doc',
'func_globals', and 'func_name']

Func_defaults gives me the 0 and 10, but none of these seem to help
with giving the names. Could it possibly be done with a bytecode
hack on func_code? Or am I missing something totally obvious?

I'm going to keep digging, but I thought I'd ask in case anyone's done
this before..

Cheers,

- Michal