BOM should be ignored by Python

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Tue May 2 18:11:22 EDT 2000

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Neil Hodgson wrote:

> > (5) a
> > reader of UTF-8 data should be prepared to regard a BOM as legal, not
> > a "syntax error".
>
>    This is what I want to see changed. The Python interpreter currently is
> not defined to be a UTF-8 reader when reading scripts. I'd like to see it
> accept these scripts.

I can see this happening on Win2K systems, but on Unix where the #! hack
is extensively entrenched and unicode oblivious AFAIK (and likely to be
so for some time), I'm wondering where that would leave script
portability.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre at aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
        andymac at pcug.org.au           (play2) |        Australia