RH6.1 coredump: float("10.01")

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at home.com
Sun May 7 23:50:19 EDT 2000

Jeff Bauer wrote:

> I recently discovered a problem using the built-in
> float() function on a client's RedHat 6.1 server.
>
>     >>> float("10.01")
>     Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> If I use float() or string.atof() against any string
> whose absolute value is greater than "10.0", I get
> a core dump.
>
> I've duplicated this problem in C (egcs-2.91.66)
> on this particular machine, so it's not a problem
> with the Python interpreter.  No problem on various
> SuSE Linuxes using egcs-2.91.66.
>
> The tim-bot will say it's my just desserts for even
> considering using floats in my code. <wink>
>
> If anyone can confirm this problem on RedHat 6.1
> (and even better, point me to a solution), please
> email me privately -- or post to this list, if you
> think it's relevant.  Thanks.

 [0 /home/ivanlan] 2 python
Python 1.5.2 (#1, Sep 17 1999, 20:15:36)  [GCC egcs-2.91.66
19990314/Linux (egcs
- on linux-i386
>>> float("10.01")
10.01

That was on Redhat 6.1, which is what's running my webserver,
na-tzul.pauahtun.org ("big dog").

Looks pretty good to me, although I wasn't willing to do it in C. ...

> god-created-integers,-we-should-have-had-enough-
>   sense-to-stop-there-ly y'rs,

<buddha-invented-complex-numbers>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Axent, Inc.
http://www.pauahtun.org and
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours