*blink* That's neat.

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue May 30 11:04:54 EDT 2000

"John W. Baxter" <jwbnews at scandaroon.com> writes:

> In article <3fMY4.28915$WS3.322429 at typhoon.we.rr.com>, "Stephen Hansen"
> <stephen at cerebralmaelstrom.com> wrote:
>
> >     I'm tired. That's about the only thing I can say in response after
> > actually READING what I posted and then shaking my head in shame :) What I
> > actually wanted was:
> >
> >     if (case != 0) and (case != 1):
>
> Hmmm...my years around these beasts (starting in the 1950s) suggest that
> *any* time I use "not" with "and" or "or" (or other spellings of not,
> and, or), I had better slow down and make very sure that I'm writing
> what I mean.  So much debug time is thus saved.

The situation is much worse in C, especially when using the bitwise
operators.  Does "var & 1 == 0" do what *anyone* would expect on first
reading?  (Hint: no).

time-wasting-ly y'rs
M.

--
  (Of course SML does have its weaknesses, but by comparison, a
  discussion of C++'s strengths and flaws always sounds like an