Python3k extended grammar

Moshe Zadka moshez at math.huji.ac.il
Sat May 20 11:55:19 EDT 2000

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Thomas Malik wrote:

> 1. case insensitivity sounds like complete nonsense to me. Who needs it,
> actually ?

The "E" in CP4E, according to quite a few usability studies.

> 2. promoting integer divisions to float sounds quite stupid to me:
> (x/y) * y + x % y == x should always hold true in any sane language

Ummmm....

1/2 == 0

Seems sane to you? Where were you when they taught about fractions in math
class? The only thing which looks sane to me is 1/2 is 1/2. And 1/3. And
367/573.

> about the optional(!) static typing, good idea. But no new interpunctuation
> or keywords, please!

Please join the type-sig, and make your voice heard over there, where the
real work is done. (Well, the real debating about the design, anyway)

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez at math.huji.ac.il>
http://www.oreilly.com/news/prescod_0300.html