Why Python needs Evangelizing

jerry_spicklemire at my-deja.com jerry_spicklemire at my-deja.com
Thu May 11 10:49:37 EDT 2000

Hi Python Fans,

This may be the last time that I know _the_answer_
to a question that shows up here, so I'd better
make the most of it.

writes:

> > Vetle Roeim <vetler at news.ifi.uio.no> writes:
> > Unfortunately, one of the best features of the
python community is
> > that it seems to have a sane group of people
in it who know multiple
> > languages and will choose appropriate ones for
the appropriate task.
> > We need more rabid, unabashed evangelists. :-)
>
> Why?

Yeah, that's the one. The reason I can tell you
why evangelists are needed, oh exalted gurus and
wizards ("We're not worthy!"), is that I am most
certainly not. You may all have binary
chromosomes, but the grim truth is most bitheads
are more like me. We are just lucky to be able to
do anything that folks pay money for at the start
of the twentyfirst century, however poorly. We are
the subsistence farmers of the Web Wide World.

That's why Python is even more important, and
absolutely essential to me. I NEED Python very
badly, and so does the seemingly endless throng of
mediocre coders. Most of us will never transcend
our own feeble limits, but Guido gave us a tool
that let's us get stuff done anyhow. It's really
just as simple as that.

You guys are glad to have found another great
language, one among many, and know exactly when
and how to use it. The rest of us are struggling
through CS101 with C++, Java, and the rest. That's
right, Pascal is dead, Basic is an historical
footnote. These days they start kids out with C++
and Java because students want to learn "job
skills". It's no accident that Visual Basic is so
popular, in the real world of workaday
programming!

The reason Python needs more rabid evangelists is
because so many still don't know it exists. "Never
heard of it", that's what thay say every time I
mention Python to a newbie. They don't even know
had much they need it, and that's a crying shame.

Don't hold your breath for any mind blowing code
to emerge from this corner, but you can bet
your last billion that I'll keep touting Python to
anyone who betrays the faintest glimmer of
interest, and even some who don't!

Say Hallelujah!
Jerry S.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/