DCOracle and handling of package OUT parameters broken ?!

Graham Bleach itdcgb at its.hants.gov.uk
Wed May 17 09:25:02 EDT 2000

> oci.error: (6502, 'ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character
string buffer too small\012ORA-06512: at "AJUNG.SELECT_LOB", line
22\012ORA-06512: at line 2\012')

Hmm, this looks like the buffer mentioned above is the OCI buffer
used/created by DCOracle. I'm not familiar with DCOracle (not enough time).
Is there anything that's specifically designed to handle CLOBs being
returned from Oracle?

> When I reduce the size of the output string (substr()) to less than about
2000 I receive
> the data correctly.

> Is this DCOracle related or a problem of Oracle ?!

> Our environment: Oracle 8.16 EE, Solaris 2.7, Python 1.5.2, DCOracle 1.3

As a workaround could you use UTL_FILE in PL/SQL to write the CLOB to a file
and then read the file in python to do whatever you wanted to do?