*blink* That's neat.

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Wed May 31 17:56:44 EDT 2000

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> > I'm not sure Alice has much of a "result" to offer on the subject. As
> > far as I can tell from the paper I have read, doing away with case
> > sensitivity was just the nearest hack available, not a decision based on
> > scientific analysis of the whole interface problem.
>
> True; I don't think there was done any double-blind research into this
> phenomenon.

I'm probably just dense, but how would you design such a
double-blind test?

> It was just an anecdotal observation, perhaps in a more controlled setting
> than ours, but probably still doesn't weigh much more strongly than our own
> anecdotal observations.

As far as I understand, the Alice researchers observed that
errors caused by case *mismatches* are a real and important
problem.  They don't claim that there are no better *technical*
solutions than the one they implemented.

(iirc, alice just casefolds everything in the "reader".  Which
reminds me of some recent private mail, which boldly claimed
that if you implement things in that way, your language is not
really case sensitive at all...)

</F>