Why should I switch to Python?

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Fri May 12 03:42:02 EDT 2000

Tim Peters wrote:

> [Grant Griffin]
> > Speaking of C, I find myself missing the "x=" operators, and "++".
> > However, I understand and endorse the reasons Python omits them.
>
> While ++ makes little sense in a language with immutable numbers, += (&
> friends) can make good sense.  There's more on this in the FAQ and the ToDo
> list.  Guido isn't opposed to augmented assignment.
>
> and-i'm-in-favor-so-that's-that<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim

Forgive me, Tim, but as a Python newbie, I had inferred that part of
Python's design philosophy was to minimize redundant constructs, to
encourage regularity in Python code.  Likewise, another design
philosophy I had inferred was to minimize "hyroglyphics" (tm), to make
the language easy to learn and read; the aforementioned operators
definity contribute to C's distinct "gobbledygook" look to the
uninitiated.  My beloved '+=' (and friends) fail on both these counts.

However, perhaps I have inferred the philosophy wrongly.  I know that
you (or maybe he) have written numerous posts that touch on Python's
design philosophy, but do you know if Guido has ever formalized Python's
design philosophy on a web page or something?  I read something wise a
few months ago from you (or maybe him) that one succeeds in the
programming language design business by choosing a design philosophy and
sticking to it.  Of course, one would not want to get too "anal" about
that, but perhaps a formal statement would help us Uninitiated
understand.

anality-is-the-only-alternative-to-'occassional-irregularity'
   -<wink>-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com