Why should I switch to Python?

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Thu May 11 03:28:59 EDT 2000

Dana Booth wrote:

> Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org> wrote:
>
> GG: Like you, I have been doing Perl for about 3 years.  It's a wonderful
> GG: thing for what it is, but having discovered Python, I now consider
> GG: myself a "Perl Refugee".  Python is like Perl--except without so much
> GG: "Perl".  What could be better?!
>
> I'm a fan of any scripting language that's easy to learn. :) Hence, I love
> Perl, Python, and TCL. One of the things I really dig about Python is that
> it seems like such a perfect mix of traditional C style coding, and the ease
> of high level languages like Perl and TCL.

Speaking of C, I find myself missing the "x=" operators, and "++".
However, I understand and endorse the reasons Python omits them.

I have recently been doing some C, and I've found myself not declaring
variables, and leaving ";" off.  So switching between the two seems
problematic, but with more practice, I hope to one day do that as easily
as I switch between treble and bass clef on the piano.

(C-with-indents-instead-of-braces-would-help)-ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com