Beginners' Question -- Assigning variables in a lambda

Tim Rowe digitig at cix.co.uk
Sat May 27 18:32:00 EDT 2000

In article <m37lchjgri.fsf at atrus.jesus.cam.ac.uk>, mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
(Michael Hudson) wrote:

Thanks. I'm not really comfortable with either, though. In my version,
handler will have quite a few keys but two or three actual handlers. Your
first solution assumes that all keys are handled in essentially the same
way (sorry, I may have wrongly implied that when I said what get_number()
does). The second solution involves writing a separate handler for each
key (ok, so does my failed lambda solution, but it's more compact!) What I
really want to do is assign one of the few handlers to each key. All the
handlers will assign to a variable which I would really like to be in the
local scope of the call, but global scope would do, but they will derive
the variable in different ways. For example, the one I've shown interprets
the parameter as a string representation of a number and converts it to a
numerical representation; another will force the parameter into string
form.

By the way, I don't mind you asserting on user data. Just so long as you
catch the resulting AssertError before it gets to the top! (I hadn't even
noticed Python had assert -- I see it's new in 1.5, but it doesn't seem to
get much attention in the documentation. Still, another reason Python is
fast becoming my favourite scripting language!)