Damnation!

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Mon May 22 08:15:41 EDT 2000

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 07:05:59AM -0400, François Pinard wrote:

> P.S. - Do you read this message in the list?  I got two rejects with:

> <python-list at python.org>: Command time limit exceeded:
>     "/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post python-list"

This is a known problem with the list... (that is, I talked with Barry about
it, and he rewrote parts of Mailman in response to some discussion we had,
and it hasn't helped :-) It's my belief now that it isn't Mailman-specific,
just that the list is so incredibly large that sending all messages out
takes longer than Postfix is prepared to wait.

The message is probably archived properly, is probably posted to the
newsgroup properly, and even sent to a fair number of the lists recipients,
but maybe (probably) not everyone. The problem is probably related to a cron
job on the machine, or some such, as it always happens at CET mornings,
which is like 2 AM for the machine in question ;) So, if you usually catch
up on the newsgroups while enjoying a cup of coffe or a bit of breakfast,
before heading to work, like me, you can expect a couple of these bounces
;-P

I imagine Barry has been insanely busy the last few weeks aranging the move
to sourceforge of Python and Mailman, among other things, but I hope he'll
be able to tune those Postfix timing parameters sometime soon... I'm
purposely avoiding postings before noon localtime to avoid the bounces ;-P

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>