object browser in emacs

Steffen Ries steffen.ries at sympatico.ca
Thu May 25 08:44:10 EDT 2000

hzhu at rocket.knowledgetrack.com (Huaiyu Zhu) writes:

> I just realized the folowing interesting thing: If you enable jde mode for
> java, you can use the speedbar which lists objects in a convenient tree in a
> separate window.  Now if you edit python code it automatically lists python
> objects (including all python modules in the directory).  Really cool.
>
> Is the speedbar a part of jde-mode that happens to also work in python-mode,
> or is it a language-neutral app?  Can I ask python-mode to use it
> automatically?

Speedbar is independent of jde. It basically understands every
language, which supports `imenu.el', which includes C, C++, emacs-lisp
and of course python.

If I'm not mistaken, since emacs-20.5 it is part of the standard
distribution (before you had to install it yourself).

hth,
/steffen
--
steffen.ries at sympatico.ca	<> Gravity is a myth -- the Earth sucks!