urllib/ftpwrapper

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Thu May 18 11:04:18 EDT 2000

Hello!

   In the urllib.py (Python 1.5.2) there is a class ftpwrapper. In the line
610 of the module it has the call self.ftp.voidresp() (method endtransfer).
   This call hangs an almost all FTP URLs. You noted it too - reread your
comment in webchecker.py, method safeclose :)

   To overcome the problem I wrote my version of ftpwrapper (in my URL
robot) without the call to voidresp. Last night the robot checked a
database of 3000 URLs, and never failed on FTP URLs.

   Do you understand and can explain why the call is there? Could we just
remove it from urllib?

----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd at phd.russ.ru