Stackless/microthreads merge news

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Sat May 6 12:55:58 EDT 2000

Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:

> Christian Tismer <tismer at tismer.com> writes:
>
> > Well, I got the Kaffe sources. This was easy.
>
> Yay open source!  Kaffe is really quite nice.  I hear they've even
> fixed the lack of BigDecimal, etc...
>
> > Now I'm trying to get the Blackdown Sources, since I'd like to read
> > the green threads implementation.  These should be sitting in some
> > patches, I think.  Whether I'll work on either of them is still
> > open, but I want to read them.
>
> I'd recommend against reading them.  They will make your brain dirty,
> in two ways: you will have to look at Sun source code (green_threads
> was not implemented by blackdown) and you will end up being unsuitable
> for cleanroom efforts such as Kaffe and Classpath.

Aaahh. Good advice. Is Classpath something where I
should look at, too?

> > Searching since hours, I cannot find their patches, just all the
> > mirrors with binaries.  Does anybody have an idea where to get them?
>
> Yes.  Sign an NDA with Sun and I'm sure they'll be happy to give them
> to you.  If you're not on the blackdown team, you can't get the code
> which they have written, because Sun owns it under NDA.

Gulp! No I won't do that :-)

> I don't think I will have any success with convincing you not to do
> this, but PLEASE consider doing something other than working on Java,
> especially Sun's Java.  Java-the-language is really just dumb (no
> function pointers, no macros, no closures ...) and java-the-platform
> is so non-functional it's a wonder anyone uses it at all.

Well, not really for Java or Sun, but for JPython
it is necessary to modify Java, probably.

Well, do you have an alternative idea where I should implant
Stacklessness and continuations, with more feedback than
in Python? Python is too small to find enough supporting people,
I'd like to leave the small corner and get more publicity for
this stuff, and a community to work on it. But where to go?

Tcl.
  Hmm, I'm not an expert on Tcl, but probably the wrong users.
Perl.
  Much users. But I remember headaches when I looked into the
  code, shudder. NOH!.
List, Scheme.
  They already have it.
C/C++ compilers.
  A nightmare, probably. To make it quite clean, the compilers
  must be changed to be enabled to turn stacks into heaps on
  demand. And that for many copmpilers... no chance.
Java.
  Well, somewhat promising, since it gets so much hype and is
  really used (although you're right, the reasons a weak).
  But this stuff is again on the machine specific part, so I'd
  have to do it for many VMs. And what is there for Windows???

> Stay good, Chris, stay good

sigh...help...whatshouldIdo... ciao - chris