A Python Beginner on Win32

yuri_leikind at my-deja.com yuri_leikind at my-deja.com
Fri May 26 15:03:17 EDT 2000

Hi All,

When I decide to know what Python is, I downloaded the installation for
Win32, py152.exe, and ran it.
It installed Python and Tcl/Tk. Okey.
Then I tried to run IDLE to see what they mean by saying "Python GUI" .
No way. It just doesn't want to find Tcl/Tk.
It says:

Traceback (innermost last):  File "idle.py", line 3, in ?  PyShell.main()
File "I:\programs\Python\Tools\idle\PyShell.py", line 611, in main  root =
Tk()  File "I:\programs\Python\Lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 886, in __init__
self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className) TclError: Can't
find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:  {} ./lib/tcl8.0
I:/programs/Python/tcl8.0/library I:/programs/Python/Tools/library This
probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.

Whatever I did, copied tcl/tk to the places where python wanted to  find the
- nothing!!! Is there a GUI at all?

Yuri Leikind

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.