OT: why tar is strange

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Wed May 31 12:47:38 EDT 2000

Stephen Hansen <stephen at cerebralmaelstrom.com> wrote:
[snip]
>     My problem with tar was not remembering the 'zxvf' part, but instead
> remembering exactly how the file was either a) spelled, b) capitolized, or
> c) punctuated(sp?). Even with an 'untar' script to do it, I just might
> forget to capitolize a letter or put a '-' in the wrong place.

Modern shells (at least on Linux) have filename completion. You just
press the tab, and if the few characters you typed in are unique, it's
going to expand to the full filename. If they aren't, pressing tab
again can get you a listing of the options.

A shell with such completion is a very different beast in feel
as one that doesn't have it.

Regards,

Martijn