Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Neil Hodgson neilh at scintilla.org
Tue May 23 01:11:34 EDT 2000

> > Some of us want 'case insensitivity' to lessen sloppiness by allowing
> > only one capitalisation of each name.
>
> Orderly naming of modules is a matter of convention.  If the conventions
> are inadequate, these might be improved where they need to be.  Tainting a
> whole language around a few inadequacies would be a gross over-reaction.

   'tainting'? I don't see how I'm corrupting Python. Moshe's example
follows what I want, which is

        editWin = CreateWindow()
        editwin = editWin.WithToolBar()

   to give me a clear error message:
line 2: "editwin" is an incorrect capitalisation of "editWin",
   preferrably with a red underline under the 'w' and 'W'

   Neil