Why Python needs Evangelizing

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Sat May 13 07:29:06 EDT 2000

Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org> writes:

> When I bought "Learning Python", I ended up finding it and the other
> Python books by accident in the "Unix" section of Barnes & Noble, after
> having first scoured the "Languages" section for them.  Since Python
> isn't especially Unix-inspired, perhaps this suggests the need to
> increase Python awareness.

This is a general bookshop problem; the big Waterstone's near me has
about half a million books on C/C++, Java and VB each, a "general
programming" section, where you look for books on interesting
languages like Lisp and Haskell, and the Python books are next to the
perl books in "Unix", except for "Programming Python on Win32", which
is in the Windows section.  Mind you, I haven't tried moaning at them.
Perhaps I should.

> Then again, maybe it was in the Unix section simply because there was no
> room in the Languages section--which was packed tight with Perl and Java
> books.

<sigh/>

M.

--
  A student, in hopes of understanding the Lambda-nature, came
  to Greenblatt.  As they spoke a Multics system hacker walked