Java vs Python

JRHoldem jraddockNOjrSPAM at hotmail.com.invalid
Thu May 18 14:25:54 EDT 2000

My point was not that "world's funniest home videos" is *better*
than "Masterpiece theatre" or anything on the Discovery channel.
My point was that people should consider their choice of words
and that *better* is very ambiguous as (your superlative here)
can apply to numerous scenarios within the same comparison
differently...

Does WFHV reach a broader audience base - yea - are they uppity
and "englightened" prolly not, but what does that have to do
with better.

..

Back to the topic of the thread...I think in some ways Java is
*better* simply because the industry supports and accepts it
more (although thanks to members of this community Python is
becoming more widespread [that's why I'm here now{tx Glyph}]).

I don't claim to be a python expert by any stretch, however I
know alot about developing marketable software that needs to be
accepted by a broad audience. Certainly mainstream support from
a market "leader" (and I use the term loosely in this case) like
Sun should be a factor in choosing your platform...

Programming is not a pure art in today's world, if it was then
maybe we could realistically compare Java and Python based on
pure performance standards. However, marketability, support and
breadth of knowledge base are all things any IT manager needs to
consider when picking the *best* software platform.

tired-of-code-freeze-need-a-good-goddamn-project-before-i-play-
more-poker-the-bad-bad-man,

JR

P.S. Remarq is screwing up my Email address. For those who want
to continue any part of this conversation in email, I'd be glad
to learn and teach...jraddock at hotmail.com