Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Roy Smith roy at popmail.med.nyu.edu
Sun May 21 18:39:02 EDT 2000

Ian Parker <parker at gol.com> wrote:
> I'd assumed the path to be case-sensitive only because it is running on
> a case-sensitive OS, such as UNIX.  On Windows NT and VMS the case
> doesn't appear to matter.

The fact that the case sensitivity of URLs depends on the underlying
file system is actually a bit of a pain.  I often see people develop web
sites on Macs or PC's and then upload them to our Unix web server.  All
the case-mis-matched links that worked just fine on the Mac/PC are now
broken.

I prefer case sensitive, can live with case insensitive, but "maybe,
depending on context" is terrible.