Python for project planning tool

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Tue May 30 15:46:35 EDT 2000

In article <3933C0D0.63B8731A at NOSPAM.philips.com>,
Jeroen Lamain  <jeroen.lamain at NOSPAM.philips.com> wrote:

>We are trying to develop a project managment tool like MS Project 98.
>
>Previously we were developing using c++ and gtk. Yesterday I
>tried Python and the GNOME binding. I was very impressed by
>the ease of development. (this was my first experience with Python)
>
>Is python ok for developing such a tool ? I mean... is it usable
>for a such a kind of project. Will I have enough performance
>when writing everything in Python (UI, task scheduler) ?

The "standard" argument is that Python makes it much easier to test out
different algorithms.  What's better, O(N^2*0.1) for a C++ solution or
O(NlogN) for a Python solution?  Once you get to the best algorithm, you
can recode in C++ if you find bottlenecks.
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Have you coined a word today?  --Aahz