Decimals -> Fraction strings, my solution

David C. Ullrich ullrich at math.okstate.edu
Tue May 23 15:28:33 EDT 2000

On 22 May 2000 13:36:27 -0400, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois_Pinard?=
<pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>ullrich at math.okstate.edu (David C. Ullrich) writes:
>
>> def gcd(a, b):
>>     while a:
>>         a, b = b % a, a
>>     return b
>
>By the way, I think the above could be better written:
>
>def gcd(a, b):
>    while b:
>        a, b = b, a % b
>    return a
>
>It does not change much, and I'm not even sure exactly why, but I find it
>more legible.

	I had no idea what you were getting at at all until
you explained elsewhere that preserving a > b seemed more
natural. (I think that allowing a call gcd(a,b) whether
a > b or not is good - if a < b the first time through
the loop will swap them - probably that initial
"if a < b swap" might be faster. But I'm not gonna worry
about that, cuz I use this in situations where there's
no "<" in any case...)