String.join revisited (URGENT for 1.6)

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue May 30 21:49:32 EDT 2000

Johann Hibschman wrote:

> Actually, it sounds more and more to me like 'join' should just be
> left as a function, and not made a method at all.

Indeed - there seem to be just as many subjective arguments
in favour of any of the alternatives, so the safest thing
to do is leave the darn thing alone!

I know we're promised that string.join will still be there,
but if ''.join exists, people will start using it, and it
won't be long before it's unremovable. Too Many Ways To Do It...

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,