Python/Zope

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat May 13 11:43:57 EDT 2000

"Carl Page" <carlp at findpage.com> writes:

> The modern replacement (IMHO) for newsgroups is web-archive backed
> email groups.

Let me vehemently disagree! :-) I rather hate Web archive email.  One has
just no means to handle high volume efficiently, and has to be on-line
all the time (something I cannot afford).  More traditional newsreaders
like Gnus are undoubtedly less flashy, but they do the job _much_ better.

P.S. - If I ought to handle Web archives, and I it occurred a few times by
now, I swallow everything I can, and turn what I got into newsgroups (using
ad hoc Python scripts :-), before starting to read for real.  It's a lot
of work for me, but I've the feeling that I win time on the overall process.