Seeds

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Mon May 15 06:14:48 EDT 2000

Fredrik Lundh <effbot at telia.com> wrote:
> Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:
>> 2. For one random bit, provoke Fredrik on c.l.py.  Note whether he
>>    laughs or snips back.

> RFC 1750 provides a whole lot of information on this topic:

>     http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1750.html

>    "Computer clocks, or similar operating system or hardware values,
>    provide significantly fewer real bits of unpredictability than might
>    appear from their specifications."

No laughing. No snipping. So that was the third state of the bit, right,
Tim? [watches comp.lang.python drift into discussion of trinary
logic, old hardware which supported this, department of defense
plans for trinary machines that could survive a direct nuclear
strike, mathematical consequences of it all, and whether 'trinary'
is the right word for it at all]

Or is Fredrik claiming he's a "computer clock, or similar operating
system or hardware value" here?

Regards,

Martijn