really silly nit: why 3+5j instead of 3+5i?

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 15 11:52:56 EDT 2000

On Sun, 14 May 2000 08:39:32 -0400, Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net>

> Still, there are no unbreakable rules in Python development and I
> bet many programmers are unaware of complex as it is. I would vote for
> an "i" in Py3K.

	And how confusing, visually, will that get with the "L" used for
long integers? Especially if one may use either case for entry. I note
Python uses "L" and "j" on output, "L" and "i" may stand out -- but when
editing one could just as easily use "l" and "J", or in the proposed
change, "l" and "I".

	If you are on a Windows box, look at the following using Ariel
as the font, and tell me which is the complex...

	1000l		1000I		1000J

	In Courier, the confusion doesn't apply, but I'm sure there are
some folks using proportional and/or san serif fonts for code editing.