Future of the Python Linux Distribution

Blake Winton bwinton at tor.dhs.org
Sun May 14 22:45:57 EDT 2000

On Mon, 8 May 2000 00:55:37 +0200 (MET DST), Vetle Roeim wrote:
>on 2000-05-07, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
>Some people ask me: "why should I use Linux?"
>I usually answer: "if you need it, you'll know."

Good answer.  I'll have to use it sometime.

>> >    but some people see that Python is all nice and tidy, and so they
>> >    dislike it because they can't write ugly, unmaintainable code[2]
>> First of all, this is NOT an admirable goal as an engineer, and it's a
>> problem with the software industry at large, not with Python...
>anyway; many programmers are _not_ engineers. they may have learned
>programming on their spare time, and therefore approach programming in a
>different way.
>
>I'm not saying people without degrees are stupid, but programming is a lot
>of things. It is an art, a science, a hobby, and engineering.
>
>Sometimes an engineer is needed. Not an artist.

I would go further and say that in this industry, we need far more
engineers, and far fewer artists (and hobbyists).

Of course, you can become an engineer (in spirit at least) without a
degree, but it seems to take quite a long time.

>But it's difficult to write nice code in Perl. At least I think so.. when
>I start using references, everything blows up in my face.. Perhaps this is
>my fault.

Heck, even when I don't use references, it blows up in my face.  ;)

>A few years ago, someone asked me about the origins of the other "P"
>language. He said: "It was created for web-programming.. right?"

Yeah, by Al Gore and Microsoft, just after they invented the Internet. :)

>Those frigging sane people! Why can't they be more like the Java-people?!

Because they're not getting paid to promote Python?

Later,
Blake.
--
9:02pm up 23 days, 1:13, 1 user, load average: 1.08, 1.02, 1.01