hungarian notation is evil (was Re: Do I always have to write "self." ?)

Phil philipc at NOSPAM.erinet.com
Fri May 5 07:43:46 EDT 2000

"James Logajan" <JamesL at Lugoj.Com> wrote in message
news:39124FE6.96D041FD at Lugoj.Com...
<snip>
> I am generally opposed to strict adherence of Hungarian notation. It is
not
> an evil notation though. Some of its adherents may be evil, but the
notation
> isn't. It was probably useful for the audience it was originally targeted
> to: inexperienced programmers who have to work in a team environment.
>
> In dynamically typed languages or in C++ templates I think it can actually
> be misleading. Come to think of it, if you want to declare anything evil,
> think you should declare C++ templates evil. Another case where Python got
> it right (EVERYTHING in Python is a sort of template!).

It never ceases to amaze me how people can take a thing such as software
(programming languages, operatings systems, applications) and attribute to
them human notions such as "good" and "evil"...

Regards,

Phil