Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

Tres Seaver tseaver at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu May 25 17:23:45 EDT 2000

In article <3929D3F6.DE9CCCBC at prescod.net>,
Paul Prescod  <paul at prescod.net> wrote:
>> However, I am having trouble imagining how removing case-sensitivity from
>> the language could improve usablility for any programmer, regardless of
>> his/her skill level.  Most people seem to have no particular trouble with
>> case-sensitivity in natural languages;
>
>If you review the variety of formatting conventions in this list, you'll
>find that that is not the case. Guido himself documented how people
>speak of the String and FTPLib modules and python programming language.
>
>> why should a computer language be any different?  On the other hand,
>> maybe I am just too ingrained in my old thought patterns.
>
>I prefer case sensitivity. But I think that most of the arguments people
>make in favor of it are bunk.
>
>1. If you spend time with newbies -- especially Windows-trained newbiews
>-- you will note the case sensitivity is a problem.
>
>2. Code written in a case insensitive language is roughly as robust and
>readable as that in a case sensitive language.

As one who has worked for a long time in a case-insensitive language
(ObjectPascal), I cannot disagree more strongly.  ObjectPascal code
which is written by case-neglecting programmers is painful to read,
and harder to maintain.  It *also* tends to be sloppier, and therefore
buggier, in other ways (fencposts, etc.)

Case sensistivity provides exactly the same kind of benefit as indentation:
it reduces the space in which individual "style" impacts the code, in order
to increase sharability of code.

Tres.