new eGroups coroutine release

Martin Baker martinb at egroups.net
Tue May 30 05:36:04 EDT 2000

Here at eGroups we use coroutines to build fast, scalable network servers.
Think Medusa, but easier. We get the performance of multi-threading
without thread overhead.

We have released our implementation of coroutines in Python under a
Pythonish license. This can be installed as a dynamically loadable module
under an otherwise unmodified Python distribution.

It doesn't work well under 1.5.1, it does under 1.5.2, and we don't know
yet about 1.6. Right now only Linux and FreeBSD are supported. The
assembler coro package we use only supports Linux out of the box, although
FreeBSD 3 might work without changes.

You can find more details (including an explanation of coroutines and
links to the assembler coroutine package) in the README at
http://www.egroups.com/files/python-coro/egroups/README-2000-04-24.txt

The software itself is available at
http://www.egroups.com/files/python-coro/egroups/egp-coro-20000424.tar.gz

Enjoy!