IDLE startup prblem. - solution

Shae Erisson shapr at uab.edu
Thu May 25 07:39:30 EDT 2000

Simon Brunning wrote:

> How do I get IDLE to run a script on startup? I've created a script
> called $IDLESTARTUP.py in the IDLE directory, and I'm running
> idle.pyw with the -s switch, but it doesn't appear to be working.
>
> (Running IDLE 0.5 on Win98.)

$IDLESTARTUP actually means "read the value of the environment variable
IDLESTARTUP"
That means if you add a line in your autoexec.bat that says:
SET IDLESTARTUP="C:\Program Files\Python\Tools\idle\autoidle.py"

then the -s switch will work (as long as you have a file name
autoidle.py in the correct path that's a python file that is :)

you can of course change the value of that variable to start with any
file you prefer. For shell variables, you don't need to surround them
with double quotes if there aren't any spaces in the path you're giving
it.
ex:
SET IDLESTARTUP=C:\Python\Tools\idle\idlesetup.py
that will work fine since there aren't any spaces (like "Program Files")
in the directory specification.
--
sHae mAtijs eRisson (sHae at wEbwitchEs.coM) gEnius fOr hIre
   bRing mE fIve sQuirrels aNd nO oNe wIll gEt hUrt