Python performance notes...

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Fri May 26 09:43:25 EDT 2000

In article <JrkX4.91772$R4.528223 at news1.rdc1.nj.home.com>,
Brett g Porter <BgPorter at NOacmSPAM.org> wrote:

>I took Aahz' original point to be that since the Python version could
>be written significantly faster than a C version, there was a class of
>problems where that metric alone makes Python the clear winner. I was
>more interested in the speed of development issue, which for this one
>case, choosing C++ allowed me to write the solution as quickly as I
>might have in Python, without sacrificing execution speed.

My point included that, but my main point was slightly subtler: Python
has many built-in features that usually more than compensate for any
slowness in the language itself, making the issue of slowness in for
loops mostly irrelevent.
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"Yes, but would you kick any of them out of bed?"
"That depends: do we have to do anything with them in the bed, or
are they just in the bed?" -- AM/SJM