Makefiles [offtopic]

Han-Wen Nienhuys hanwen at dokkum.cs.uu.nl
Thu May 25 07:13:49 EDT 2000

sorry, couldn't resist this.

In article <392C8D1D.C5DEB536 at san.rr.com>,
Courageous  <jkraska1 at san.rr.com> wrote:
>SRC    := $(shell echo *.C)

that would be

     SRC:=$(wildcard *.C)               # more efficient

>While I seldom toot my own horn about anything, managing very large
>source (multiple platform, multiple language, multiple configuration)
>is something I'm very, very good at, so I hope you appreciate it when
>I say that GNUmake is one of the very best build tools I've ever found
>for anything like this.

I'll go along with you in saying that GNU make is the best
implementation of make available, but that does not mean it is the
best tool ever for managing builds. I work on a project totaling 2200
lines of Makefiles, and it's hard to fix bugs in without creating new
errors.

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys, hanwen at cs.uu.nl ** GNU LilyPond - The Music Typesetter
      http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/hanwen/lilypond/index.html