(gulp) newbie question - portablity of python

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Sun May 14 17:54:49 EDT 2000

On Sun, 14 May 2000 18:42:51 GMT, "Keygrass" <nospam at sorry.com>

> So ... my question is this: Is this really too good to be true?  What I want
> to do it write the program on my  Win98se (at home) and then use that .exe
> or .bat file (or whatever extension it is) at work which uses unix.

	After looking at the other four responses first...

	The core Python language is common on all those different
systems, but... you do need to have the Python interpreter and libraries
for that system installed.

	You don't normally produce the equivalent of an ".exe" file in
Python (there is a way to do that, but the resulting file then becomes
system specific because it includes the interpreter as part of the
file). Instead, you invoke the Python interpreter feeding it your
program.

	So in your example, you would need to have the Windows version
of the interpreter installed at home, and the proper UNIX version
installed at work. You can then take your program source, after
debugging it at home, and run it on the UNIX machine. As long as you
didn't use any system specific libraries (Windows COM, Amiga AREXX port,
etc.) the file should run.