Stackless/microthreads merge news

Christian Tismer tismer at tismer.com
Wed May 3 18:46:07 EDT 2000

Neel Krishnaswami wrote:
[unmature hype of a probable stackless Java]

> Fairly difficult, I would assume -- if there's a JIT it will almost
> certainly try to stack-allocate activation records. You'd need to
> explictly heap-allocate all that. Fortunately, Andrew Appel seems
> to believe that heap-allocation of frames can effectively compete
> with stack allocation, see:

Thanks a lot - I know these publications.

The problem is smaller. We don't need to make everything into
heaps, but we can do this at certain points. This can be the
procedure level, but it can be even coarser. The granularity
depends on what we want to switch.
Finally, I want to be able to switch what I now can switch
in CPython. In JPython, I want something similar, but this
doesn't mean to need to be able to switch every and all things
all the time.

It-is-stackless-if-it-is-better-*and*-not-slower - ly y'rs - chris