Damnation! (was: Re: Python3k extended grammar)

Courageous jkraska1 at san.rr.com
Fri May 19 23:47:39 EDT 2000

> >> Python is not a democracy.
>
> >The success and future of python is a democracy of the most
> >brutal kind.
>
> That's right: and Guido is both the teeming masses AND the guillotine.
>
> Seriously, though, the future of Python is not up to any democracy --
> because even if a majority doesn't like it, it won't be hurt.  We don't
> need any vote (although we can always leave).

I appreciate what you're trying to say, but if Python ever
becomes a mainstream programming language, I can guarantee
you that it will outgrow Guido.

I don't know a thing about the Guido, and don't have a thing
against him; to the contrary, I'm rather fond of his language.
(Thanks, Guido!) Be that as it may, there comes a time when the
founder of something ceases to have true dictatorial power
over his creation, sooner or later.

It's generally a bad idea to opine "it's my way or the highway,"
especially in a setting like this, where the more you say it,
the less and less true it will become. Conversely, the more
he listens to what his users have to say, even if it's just
a token vote, the more likely he is to see continued success
and growth of this beautiful language.

Hope I haven't offended anyone,

C/