Copyright and License

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Wed May 10 22:03:35 EDT 2000

Bernhard Reiter <breiter at usf.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE> wrote:

>Tim, you are correct, something in the publich domain stays in
the
>public domain, and you can still go on and reimplement what
other
>added to your software. But you have no saying over what they
do
>with it.

At least where I come from, "free" and "control" are
antithetical notions.

>The GPL is among the savest Free Software licenses you can
get.
>It is a bit complicated, but the complexity crawles in because
>copyright law is so complicated and not because the intention
was
>unclear.

Nah. It's complicated because it's conflicted.

>This sentences are flawed. If you do not use a strong Free
Software
>license other Companies might lock up your code and make
money from
>your work.

Horrors!

>They might even gain a monopoly and you do not have a word
>to say about it.

If they do that, then I guess you're not capable of producing
a functional equivalent. So it's safe to say that your code is
an incidental part of their product.