Another salvo in the indentation war? I hope not.

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Mon May 29 11:21:41 EDT 2000

Philip 'Yes, that's my address' Newton <nospam.newton at gmx.li> wrote:
[snip]
>> If-malicious-somebody's-start-removing-stuff-all-code-is-lost-ly yours,

> However, removing indentation is more common than removing random
> characters such as '{' or '}' (or, with Pascal, 'BEGIN'), wouldn't you
> agree? For example, if someone writes HTML without remember that two or
> more spaces get treated as one?

> We're talking about what happens in real life. Indentation is more often
> smashed than characters are lost.

That's true, but in real life I haven't seen much indentation smashing of
Python source yet. Source code is usually transmitted in more durable
formats; after all if you smash the indentation in C you might get something
still compilable, but not something very readable. And the thing about source
code is that it should be human-readable, otherwise we can just as well
transmit binaries.

Regards,

Martijn