Case-sensitivity: why -- or why not? (was Re: Damnation!)

neelk at cswcasa.com neelk at cswcasa.com
Mon May 22 09:07:07 EDT 2000

Before I move to the body of my response I'd like to apologize -- when I
reread my original message the tone came across as much more hostile than
I intended; this is a subject that seems to come up every few weeks and
swallow the newsgroup whole, and I'm afraid I took out some of my
frustrations on you. Sorry.

Basically, there are so many more fundamental changes being discussed --
such as true garbage collection, type/class unification, lexical
scoping, rich comparisons, strong typing, a new iteration protocol --
that I'm amazed and a little dismayed that something as relatively
trivial as case-sensitivity is dominating the discussion.

I mean, in a year or two it'll be tried out in IDLE, people will stare
at it, and then someone will point out there are a hundred thousand
Python programmers with 25 million lines of Python code that will be
broken by such a change, and then the idea will be dropped. It doesn't
matter whether the idea is objectively good or bad (I think it's a very
good idea); Python will have grown so much that the threshold for
justifiable backwards-incompatible change will have risen above the
benefit it will provide.

I hope (but fear that I'm wrong) that the same is not true of the
iteration protocol -- there's a critical need to be able to iterate
over trees and linked-lists cleanly. This is IMO more significant
than GC or even type-class unification, and it's the major reason I'm
rooting for Stackless, since it permits Sather-style coroutine-based
iterators to be implemented in Python.

--
Neel Krishnaswami
neelk at cswcasa.com